Saturday, February 26, 2011

Research Coaching (researchcoach@uu.edu)


The Spring Semester is now in full swing and the weather has even started to show signs of sun and warmth. Today is a gorgeous Saturday to be outside. But if not outside enjoying the weather, I have noticed that students are diligently beginning to work on papers and projects. So recently I have been spending quite a bit of time as Research Coach. Coming up through graduate school I always felt that my favorite part of working in a library was helping people. I love to make talk with students about ideas, find interesting books, print articles or demonstrate using databases for students. I have been helping students frame their research questions and get started with a project on language and ethnicity for a course with Dr. Ryan. I have also helped a student try and find information for a Biology class on parasites that affect horses. That was difficult one and I'm not sure how much help I actually was.  Miss Melissa Moore is also a Research Coach and she has done a great job of helping to launch this program. She is also extremely helpful and friendly to meet with. So this spring semester at Union, if you are getting started with a paper or research project or if you want to know more about how to create a bibliography using Refworks , our new citation tool that can easily generate your works cited page and help you organize your research, then don't hesitate to look for a research coach in the library or schedule an appointment. We have a new e-mail address at ResearchCoach@uu.edu and we'd love to meet with you.

No comments: